January 17, 2009

Spring Picks

How is it possible that January is half-way over? Where did this month go? I've been crazy busy filling orders and working on the book proposal. Above are my favorite picks from this week's orders. It's looking like Spring in the Humblebeads Studio!

I had a nice surprise yesterday. I have two projects in the next issue of Bead Trends and my advanced copies arrived with a gift certificate for Fire Mountain Gems. So I had a dilemma: should I get findings, splurge on a really outrageous strand of beads, or get the best bargains? I ended up picking a few strands of stick pearls in pinks and browns along with a beautiful leaf clasp. So I went with some old favorites in the end.

Wish I had this clasp in my hot little hands right now!

So if you had some unexpected bead money fall into your lap, what would you go with - the splurge, practical findings or stretch out that money with bargain deals?

9 comments:

Wendy L said...

Keep up the good work, my friend, you are an inspiration!! I recently came accross a (small)bit of extra $$, ear-marked especially for bead-stuff. I had to go with the practicle findings. I was all out of a certian clasp that happened to be on sale and the rest would have to wait till I got some extra-extra $$$.
Wendy
Germantown, WI

Lorelei Eurto said...

If a lump of cash ended up in my lap, I would definitely stock up on my favorite artisan made beads.

Anonymous said...

I'm always running out of the basics like sterling silver wire and sheet so that's the way I'd go. Although, if I had a little extra, I'd love to splurge on some new tools!

Congratulations!

Rosanne said...

2 pieces in one magazine? Good for you. I had some bead money this weekend and I visited a new (to me) shop in Ann Arbor. Got some wood beads and a couple strands od glass in spring colors. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Findings, definitely - one can never have enough of those. And nothing is more annoying than not being able to finish a design, just because there's not enough wire/not the right clasp/no earring findings of a matching colour left.

Beverly Herman said...

I would stock up threads and needles and than findings. I was bragging about all your accomplishments at our bead meeting yesterday!

Bead-Mused said...

Congrats, my celebrity friend! I'll have to show the girls your latest accomplishments.

I never have enough findings, so that's what I would go for.

Keep up the fantastic work!
Theresa

Rita'z R-tistic Ramblez said...

Good basic findings, wire, and then something special for me. I admit it I have a bead and silver addiction!!!

Bea said...

I have no problem buying the pretties.... I'd probably spend it on the stuff I know I need and really "should get." (Kind of like socks at Christmas, you know?)

Somehow I always find money for the crystal, the pearls, that wonderful carnelian....*sigh* But not for crimps or accuflex.

Congrads on the windfall! You certainly earned it.