June 14, 2009

Mellow Yellow

I haven't seen the latest issue of Stringing, but on the website it looks like yellow will be a hot color for summer jewelry. I have quite a bit of yellow and gold in my collection of beads, so I thought I'd put together some possibilities with a little dab of sunshine.


Okay, so this one isn't a yellow bead, but it compliments the yellow in my design so nicely. I'd start with a wire-wrapped nest with some bright yellow glass beads, add in my teal bird, wire-wrap a few links with these fun vintage beads from Milbits and finish the necklace off with a hand-dyed silk ribbon from JamnGlass. Nothing like a little wisp of ribbon instead of a bulky chain on a hot summer day. Man, I wish I had these beads on hand right now, I'd love to wear this necklace today!

The next necklace I'd create a little longer than my usually 18 or 20" and add a few inches. I'd start with a pendant created from these awesome wood filigree leaves from xgq15 and one of my Golden Branch beads. For the necklace I'd string blue wood beads from BeppeMartha and glass disks from LindenAvenueDesigns onto brown waxed linen. This would be a very lightweight necklace with a lot of visual pop. Don't those blue beads look like blueberries?
My final design would incorporate another wood filigree element offered by Shareliving, are you noticing a trend here? I'd add a few dangles with these sweet little vintage flowers from RudyFig. My dandelion bead would play nicely with the matte white finish of the filigree. I'd add in a bright buttercup yellow glass bead to finish off the pendant. I'd string the pendant on a long brass chain, it would look perfect with a navy blue tunic and white capris.
Beading Daily had an awesome article last week on designing summer jewelry. Be sure to check out the link here.

10 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Loving Yellow since I saw the section in Stringing! It's a really great summer color. I love the designs you've drawn up here! You always find such great new artists too!

Anonymous said...

I love your necklace designs, and the way you've drawn them with the photos of the beads is really cool :) I especially like "A Bird in the Hand", so summery and cool-looking!

Anonymous said...

love them all!

Gaea said...

These are beautiful and your illustrations are divine!

SueBeads said...

Wish I could draw like you!!! They are all fantastic!

Beverly Herman said...

Dandelion Gate is my favorite...wait how can you pick a favorite! They are wonderful summer pieces.

Sharon said...

I have to say you are one talented lady. Love your drawings of those beautiful necklaces--very inspirational.

TesoriTrovati said...

I just don't know how you do it, Heather, but I love to come and visit your wrold! I love the yellow theme in this month's stringing. And your ideas are a perfect springboard from that thought. Great way to make it your own! Enjoy the day! Erin

Leslie said...

Thanks for the mention of my summer jewelry post on Beading Daily, Heather!

Leslie, editor in chief, Step by Step Beads

Hoe Jathcer said...

Wow I just love you stuff here - so natural and colorful. If anyone is looking HHH Enterprises in Abilene has a big group of Laser Cut Wood Pendants http://www.hhhenterprises.com/index.php?cPath=21501

Hope you can use some of these. Thanks