March 15, 2012

10 Days of Paradise

The Bead Cruise was amazing - how could it not be? 

I didn't take many photos, hardly any of the beading events - I was just having too much fun and a little medicated at the same time.  Not a good combo for capturing moments!

 Hibiscus flowers were in bloom in Florida - what a beautiful start to our trip. 

Participants enjoyed classes with our awesome instructors - I'm an official member of the Kerry Bogert fan club.  We enjoyed fun demos and talks from each instructor. I picked up some fun metal texturing tips from Tracy Stanley.  We had so much fun at the Queen's Ball cocktail party - we invited everyone to wear a tiara, mask or fascinator for a costume contest.  The winner of the contest dressed in full Renaissance Queen's costume.  We had a crazy parade with all those who dressed up and then ended the night with an impromptu conga line.  The conga line was a first on the Bead Cruise.  Each instructor offered kits, beads, books and more at the Bead Bazaar where there was shopping, open beading and lots of visiting with old and new friends.

All of our ports were so beautiful.  I love spending time on the islands and that is where I seem to have snapped the most photos.  Despite my mobility issues I was able to wheel around and sight-see on each island.  One of my favorite ports was Old San Juan in Puerto Rico.  We wandered around the cobblestone streets with sherbet colored buildings with decorative verandas.  We stumbled across two bead shops and picked up a few little treasures.

My second favorite stop was Labadee, a private port in Haiti.  Of course, it was artificial, built up by the cruise line - but the natural beauty of the island was preserved and just a little slice of paradise.  There were bands playing as we arrived.  There were beaches at every turn along with palm trees and tropical scenes built around little walk ways.  There was this amazing rock formation that looked like a giant lizard. I could have spent a few days here, sitting under the swaying palm trees, enjoying the sound of the ocean.  Oh pure bliss!


After the ports we enjoyed our last day of classes and a fun farewell party where we voted for our design contest winners.  I was excited to see that the winner has used some of her components from the Faux Sea Glass that I had taught earlier that week.  The winning design was created by Janis Garich.

The Bead Cruise flew by too quickly, as it always does.  I came home to sunshine and the smiling faces of my daughters and Jess.  I'm happy to be home with all those sunny memories tucked away as I work on taking care of myself and get back to the biz of selling beads again.  And wait until you see the beads I have to offer!!! 

You can check out all my island photos on my Flickr set and go visit Kerry's blog - she has been sharing great photos and stories since she got back!  We are already planning 2013 and soon will be looking forward to our next vacation in paradise.

7 comments:

Marcia DeCoster said...

Well the photos you did capture are all beautiful! Sounds like a great time was had by all.

Marie Cramp said...

Oh how I wish I could have been there with all of you! What beautiful beaches! Little pieces of Heaven!! Maybe someday...

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh my! What wonderful memories! The pictures and stories I have read so far are making me wistful. I do so hope that there will be another Bead Cruise. I so totally need to be on it next time! I am thrilled to see the little charm that I made on the winning look. Such a great memory piece! Looking forward to welcoming you back with open arms.

Enjoy the day!
Erin

Mary Harding said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Love the photo of Puerto Rico and your description of the sherbert colors. Yummy!! Glad you all had a great time.

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Sounds and looks like a lot of fun! I can't believe I have not signed up for one of these cruises. I agree with Erin... next bead cruise, here we come!

Beth Hikes said...

Love the snapshot of the fountain! Looks like a magnificent trip :) xoxo Beth

Cindy said...

What an adventure. I loved hearing the stories from Kerry and living vicariously...*sigh* Maybe one day I can set sail!